Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Reading with Your Kids?

Need a quick "pick-me-up" type of read? In the spirit of the holiday season? I just downloaded Barbara Robinson's The Best Christmas Pageant Ever. Glad I did. Now it's my kids turn. They won't put up a fuss, since they heard plenty-o-giggles my way.

How often do we really seek out the face of God in others? No matter who they are or where they came from? (I can't take credit for this question. It was posed to our congregation in our priest's homily a few weeks ago.) It's certainly something I need to ask of myself more often. And this cleverly crafted story which recounts how the shunned clan known as the Herdmans manage to transform the annual Christmas Pageant from a rote ritual into what the Christmas story is meant to be. And while the pageant was a bit clumsy and unorthodox, it was perfectly heartfelt and undeniably real. I love a message when it's spun with humor. Speaking of...

On to Diary of a Wimpy Kid's Cabin Fever with my son. I sense a theme in my reading material these next few weeks. Oh–happy times! The most wonderful time of the year!

1 comment:

Rubi J said...

I enjoyed this book as well. It's reading has sparked a new Christmas tradition for me personally. Great way to start the Holiday Season.