Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Sister by Rosamund Lupton

I'm an only child. So, naturally, sibling relationships fascinate me. So when Mom recommended I read Sister by Rosamund Lupton, it wasn't without reservation. “And perhaps it spoke to me since I’m still grieving for my brother,” said my mother.  Never one to doubt my mama, I took hold of the novel and wasn’t disappointed in the least.

Death in the form of murder. Grief. Deep-seated guilt. Dark topics, yes? The story is actually refreshing because Rosamund Lupton has crafted a unique literary piece, most suited for pondering and discussion. In my opinion anyway. Topically, Sister is first and foremost a murder mystery. And there are a load of twists and unsuspecting turns in this novel. But what I found most compelling was the protagonist’s (Beatrice) uncertain personal journey in pursuing her sister's murderer. In a way, her sister (Tess) became the sacrificial lamb in order for Beatrice to reclaim her life - a life that she had slowly and irrefutably let slip away from her.

Grieving for a sibling not only contain the typical prongs of pain, but I'm guessing include extreme elements of loneliness as well. While I don't have that experience myself, I have comfort in the camaraderie I witness between my children. When me and my husband pass on, they will have each other. In reading this book, Ms. Lupton poured out this sibling love so masterfully, I felt the pain of losing one's sister. Now, that's good writing. 

And by the way, I had no idea who did it. And there was another "I had no idea that was going on" in this book. And that's good plotting...

No comments: