Sunday, March 13, 2011

Evil Plans: Having Fun on the Road to World Domination by Hugh MacLeod

The Kindle has some handy features that allow you to bookmark, notate and highlight passages you find inspiring or at least worth revisiting. This is all good and dandy, until you find a book so amusing and full of delectable quips that you find yourself bookmarking the whole damn book. Such is the case with Evil Plans: Having Fun on the Road to World Domination by Hugh MacLeod.

Don't let the name fool you. While Mr. MacLeod takes a few jabs at corporate America - and he doesn't lack of sharp wit with shreds of cynism (undoubtedly, residue from his time working an inane job that suffocated his creative spark -dang cubicles), Hugh is an inspirational writer. And this is a book (believe it or not) about...love. As a matter of fact, I think I'd like to have tea with Hugh. Although, I very much think he's cut more from my hubby's cloth and prefers a brewsky. Anyhoo-

Things I LOVE about this book:


  • The author's vocabulary - use of words like "feckless" and other words that don't even show up on the Kindle's dictionary.  I can't remember them, but there seemed to be a few obscurities starting with the letters "sch..."
  • The cartoons - undeniably funny. And some very sweet! Too bad I had to view them on the Kindle. But I was compelled to visit his blog this way. You should too - www.gapingvoid.com
  • Anecdotes and other business stories. They were relevant for every point Hugh made. Hugh's smart. I like smart people. It generated much discussion between me and my husband. Basically, I read the entire book to my husband.
  • A poem called "Welcome to the Hunger." Seriously, I had tears in my eyes when I finished reading it. At the end, there was a cartoon with a caption stating "my name is hugh macleod. and right now i'm crying."  How is that for uncanny?
For anyone who is interested in reconciling passion and career, entrepreneurialism, or marketing your own business, this is a must-read.  It was surprisingly delightful and stirring. I'll leave you with one of Hugh's cartoons (which I think can be purchased by visiting his website) in hopes that you'll be inspired to visit his blog and find wisdom in any of his many art forms:



No comments: