Wednesday, December 29, 2010

The Girl WithOUT the Dragon Tattoo

It had been sitting on my bookshelf since last summer, but too many other reading obligations kept me from getting to it. But every time I walked by and caught sight of the brazen yellow cover with the dragon design, my heart raced. "Three more books and I'll get you off that dusty shelf!"  Could it be as good as the Hunger Game series? Harry Potter? The various components of Stieg Larsson's "Millennium" trilogy have been dominating book charts for how long now? It was time for me to be swept up by a series once again.

But for as much respect as I have for Mr. Larsson's writing craft (may he rest in peace), I must make this courageous admission. I didn't enjoy the book. Too disturbing for me. Perhaps this writer was too good with his subject matter? 


Undoubtedly, the story was compelling - I had to keep reading to uncover the details of the complicated mystery. (After all, it had been too long since Mom had read it for her to tell me the ending - and that's not my style...) And despite (or perhaps because of) their flaws, main characters Michael and Lisbeth became like next door neighbors to me - a bit scary though. (Once I learned that Daniel Craig will be playing the American version of Michael, the journalist became quite fanstastical...)

There is one observation I learned about myself. I'm not really sure what I truly believe about "vengeance." I thought I was a bit more like Jesus, but perhaps it has its place. That's all I'll say about that. Except I'd never want to cross Lisbeth Salander.

Will I read the sequels? The Girl Who Played with Fire or The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest? Too early to tell. But let's just say I've stood around those Larsson displays in the bookstore and pondered the idea. But I haven't picked them up. Yet. And will I see the movie? Most likely - but did I tell you that Daniel Craig is starring?

1 comment:

Rubi J said...

As you know, I loved this book, but didn't read Books 2 & 3 for some time later. I was afraid I would be disappointed. However, after I read Book 2 "The Girl who played with Fire" I went directly to Book 3 "The Girl who kicked the Hornet's Nest". Amazing reads.