Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Sweetness of the Bottom of the Pie by Alan Bradley

I can't remember why I bought this - maybe an NPR recommendation? But the cover is adorable - bright green, dead snipe with a  bright orange stamp sticking through the beak. The artwork is wonderful.

The names in the book are lovely - Flavia De Luce, with sisters Ophelia and Daphne and I really do love Flavia. BUT, I do not for one minute believe that Flavia is eleven years old. Perhaps British children in the 1950's were incredibly cultured and way beyond my level of intelligence. Maybe it's just my blue collar background? Nonetheless, it doesn't take away from the fact that I really enjoyed the mystery behind the novel. And like I said, I really liked Flavia. (I just couldn't believe she was eleven - no matter her level of precociousness.)

And - I was disappointed with myself. Typically, a fairly good sleuth, I missed this one.  Maybe I was too focused on not knowing some of the cultural references to figure out the mystery. Perhaps that's Mr. Bradley's device?

My rating?  3.5 star -- almost 4. But, I would certainly recommend the book!

No comments: