Thursday, August 26, 2010

E-Readers and Books

Denise (a co-worker) and I were talking about books and Kindles the other day. She didn't have a Kindle and was asking how I liked mine.  Did I like it better than an actual book?...I do like my Kindle. But do I like it better than an actual book?  No.

Currently E-books are outpacing the sales of books which is no big surprise. They are cheaper and it's a new technology. But books are still magical. Don't you remember when you were little and you held that one special book in your hand? Even before you could really read?

After lunch Denise brought back some wonderful hardbound books that were given to her by her grandmother.  She keeps in her enclosed bookshelf and one of her favorite happens to be Evangeline by Longfellow. What a treat it was to thumb through the weathered, crisp pages with evidence of Denise's grandma's studious mind leaving a pencil trail of notes. I couldn't help myself but to take a whiff of the stale and glorious novel. It really was a beautiful tome. And why don't they have illustrations like that anymore?? I totally appreciated my friend sharing it with me.

I don't think E-readers will be the death of books. My Kindle hasn't really slowed my book-purchasing habit. If anything, it's increased it. I noticed on my Shelfari, I'm way ahead of the number of books I read last year. Perhaps because I purchase books on the Kindle and yet, I haven't stopped frequenting bookstores. When it stops being a fun past time for me and my family, then maybe I'll quit buying books? But for now, I'll just keep piling up the reads on my actual and virtual shelves...and truly, I predict that book sales will pick back up again. It's still an art form that people appreciate - especially the young-uns.

Of course, I could be way off on this. But my intuition tells me otherwise. I guess we'll see.

1 comment:

Rubi J said...

I love my Kindle and hard copy books equally. The ease of the Kindle is awesome, but I also love the fun part of exchanging books with other reader friends.