Sunday, January 10, 2010

The Forgotten Garden - A Novel by Kate Morton

2009 was a good reading year for me. The Help by Kathryn Stockett - a favorite. Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins - another favorite. The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Annie Barrows and Mary Ann Shafer - a double favorite. (Just to name a few.) Now 2010...with its inclement weather encouraging us to stay at home and read...is starting off in a grand way.

Yesterday I finished a novel complete with mystery, longing, unrequited love, relentless maternal motifs, haunted histories and (alas!) FAIRY TALES. In THE FORGOTTEN GARDEN, Kate Morton creates a beautiful novel with imagery that is so escapist, I was able to stay up past 10:00 pm in recent weeks. (Big feat for me.) She creates a story line so compelling that my mind was always a minute away from considering the plot -no matter what I happened to be doing. (Sorry Boss.) But most of all, Ms. Morton passed my lovability test by creating incredible and soulful heroines amidst three very distinct story lines that ultimately become interwoven.

I can't wait to discuss this book at my book club next week. It's a double favorite - right up there with Guernsey. Obviously, I highly recommend. But if you do, a quick warning: Be prepared to lose yourself.

No comments: