Tuesday, November 24, 2009

On Writing

"A great book should leave you with many experiences, and slightly exhausted at the end. You live several lives while reading it." -William Styron, novelist (1925-2006)

This quote came across Anu Garg's A Word A Day blog today. For me, this is how I define "a favorite" tome. Often, I will read a book and conclude the author has strong writing skills. However, I don't always connect. Can any of you relate?

I read another article today in Writer's Digest written by Steve Almond. He argues that the best writers reveal their love through ALL of their characters...even those posed with defects and non-redeemable qualities. It was a brilliant article aimed to aspiring writers. He ends his essay by stating, "Your highest calling is not to sell books or get famous, but to awaken mercy within your readers. That only happens when you treat your characters with the same unconditional love."

Well-said Mr. Almond. I wonder if this works on real life as well...

1 comment:

Rubi J said...

I love that quote. It says what I have always felt, but couldn't articulate.
It's a feeling a person can only get from the written word.