Friday, October 23, 2009

The Help by Kathryn Stockett

This book was so good that I forgot to write about it. (Does that make any sense???) Anyway, if you want to read a book that makes you a) laugh, b) sad, c) stew over social injustices, d) appreciate friendship and e) fall in love with characters...I've got just the read for you -- THE HELP by Kathryn Stockett. I read it shortly after reading The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society (with expectations of a let-down) and felt like maybe I was just becoming the most easily entertained reader in the world. (There's a bit of truth in this, but another book I read recently proved this theory wrong...) Anyway, a short synposis:

A writer, who happens to be the daughter of a rich cotton-grower in JACKSON, MI decides to write a book from the black maids' perspectives, circa 1960's....thus, the plot. Ms. Stockett easily captured tenderness, narrow-mindedness, forgiveness, acceptance, friendship and love.

On the star rating system, I'd give it a 5 out of 5 (only one less star than Guernsey). While I didn't live during this time, nor have I ever visited much of the South (except being born in Louisiana), the novel placed me in a time warp, making me feel l was there -- a telltale sign of a great writer. I look forward to reading more from Ms. Stockett.


No comments: