Saturday, September 5, 2009

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society Review

When I really, really like something, I become a bit obsessive. Well, if you haven’t read The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows, you might want to A)read it before you talk to me or b) find cliff notes and pretend to have read it before you talk to me. (If you straight out admit that you haven’t, I’ll bug you until you do.)

My rating? 6 stars out of 5.

Why?

Charming. Witty. Historical. Heartbreaking and uplifting at the same time. All of this and it's a love story to boot.

The novel is written in the epistolary form (of letters). It makes me want to start writing letters! Although, I guess we can argue that email serves a similar purpose and it's much more convenient. I'll probably stick to email. Oh, how I wish Juliet (fictional character) had her own blog. I'd read it upon every chance.

But it also makes me want to travel to Guernsey! Yes, it's probably cold - the island sets on the English Channel. But I don't care! It gives me a great excuse to wear scarves, caps and adorable Wellies. Anyway, that trip might have to come after I retire...but it's undoubtedly on the list.

Please, please don't wait for this movie to come out (as I have a suspicion it might.) Read...and if you don't find utter joy, I'll take you out to eat. Anywhere you want...just bring your copy of the book so we can discuss.

No comments: