Sunday, March 15, 2009

The Readers!

Last Tuesday I joined the "Lunch and Learn" series at our local library. Every month, one of the librarians leads a discussion on a certain book. After completing my gig with the vampires, I read THE READER by Bernhard Schlink so I could join in. Admittedly I was a little nervous before the session. What if I didn't contribute? What if my observations seemed trite?

My concerns were invalid. It was fun, relaxing and completely enjoyable. Truly, lovers of books are a special breed of people. Whether introverted or extroverted, whether a sci-fi or a romantic, whether a realist or a fantasist, readers can easily connect.

The key, I think? Being open to other perspectives AND a love of learning...about anything. There is something so completely engaging about discussing a book with another. This past week, I've had so many discussions about books with different people, (admittedly much about Edward and Bella) and the affect? Truly uplifting! (Of course, this weather may have something to do with it as well.)

Anyway, for all you readers out there (you know who you are!), think about coming to a "lunch and learn" at the library. It's the second Tuesday of every month. I can't wait to find out our next "assignment" and once again join my interesting group of new friends!

And if you're interested in meeting other readers or finding book suggestions, check out Shelfari .It's my favorite social networking site by far! (Although I have the fewest number of friends here...)

No comments: