Monday, February 16, 2009

Some Quick Book Recommendations

I just read two amazing books... Snow Flower and the Secret Fan by Lisa See and The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterland. Each received five stars on my Shelfari.

Snow Flower and the Secret Fan -- a poetic tale that reminded me of the importance of female friendships. What intrigues me is that this theme is SO universal -- across ethnic groups, time periods, generations and social levels. Read it and be reminded to make time for your female companions. (Warning -- hopefully the lesbian connotations won't offend you.)

The Thirteenth Tale -- a bit eerie and definitely a mystery seeping with literary value. I became completely immersed on the issue of love between twins and sisters. As I've told many of you before, if my 61-year old mother told me she was having a baby, I'd be thrilled! I still remember the very moment, as a child, when mother told she miscarried. It still makes me sad in some ways. (Could I also have a sibling spirit who has been with me my entire life?) Anyway, while the novel was a bit haunting, it was completely fascinating.

Anyway, for you avid readers, these are just two suggestions. I have embarked on the Twilight series and am halfway through the first book. Alex has completed all four and loves them more than Harry Potter! I must admit, the book, so far, is compelling and quite entertaining. Thus, I sign off to continue to newest assignment on vampires.

1 comment:

Krista said...

The Thirteenth Tale was quite the page-turner, wasn't it? I haven't been able to put my finger on just why, I only know that I went to work tired for a good week while I stayed up nights reading it. =)